The project supports community activities to increase uptake and utilization of HIV/PMTCT services; and activities are mostly focused on mobilization and referral of individuals, families, or groups for the appropriate HIV services.
Other key activities include:
- Training of VHTs to carry out community health education and sensitization, referring mothers and children from the community to the facilities, tracking of clients lost to follow up and visiting PMTCT clients at home for support
- Mobilization and sensitization of community members on HIV prevention and treatment services available through radio programs
- Conducting community outreach activities that include HIV counseling, testing and adherence support
- Support and use of PHA groups especially to support and follow up the newly HIV positive mothers and their children
- The above services can be accessed at 628 health facilities targeted by the project: 59 hospitals, 65 Health Centre (HC)-IV, 424 HC-III and 80 HC-II (see list of supported health facilities by district in Annex XXX). The activities of the project are implemented by the district health workers at public and private not for profit health facilities, as well as VHTs at community level.
PREFA is contributing towards the national PMTCT program for virtual elimination of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV/AIDS. With support from PEPFAR through CDC, and in partnership with the Ministry of Health, PREFA employs a District-Led approach to strengthen District health systems in Buikwe, Masaka, Lwengo, Kalungu, Luweero, Nakasongola and Wakiso, towards minimizing vertical transmission of HIV, while supporting the Uganda government policies and strategies towards decentralized action.
PREFA thus supports Health Facilities in the following ways:
- Technical Assistance to Health Workers
- Capacity building of Health Workers through trainings and workshops
- Logistical supplies
- Financial support
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES
The reproductive health services project is aimed at improving access to and uptake of integrated, acceptable and sustainable sexual and reproductive health services by women of reproductive age in seven districts of Central Uganda. PREFA has thus initiated Youth and Adolescent Friendly Service centers where the following services are offered;
- Youth sensitization and counseling
- Family planning services
- Table Games
- Post abortal services
- HIV and STI testing
- SGBV screening and support
In addition PREFA builds capacity of Health Facilities in the form of training Health Workers and equipping the Health Facilities with the necessary equipment and logistics to provide the reproductive health services.
CHILD PROTECTION & RIGHTS
The Ending Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children project aims to develop and strengthen a sustainable system aimed at elimination of Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children in Uganda by advancing an Integrated response involving Concerted efforts by Community and governance structures. The project offers the following services.
- Promoting awareness and linkage into health care for those exposed
- Provide direct support and assistance to child victims of commercial sexual exploitation as an alternative means of reducing their vulnerability and reintegrate them into the community.
- Strengthen community structures to promote sustainable child protection
- Enhance the capacity of urban authorities and local governments to respond and protect children from sexual exploitation and contribute to the implementation of national laws and policies.